Pet Blogger Challenge 2016
This will be my fifth time participating in the Pet Blogger Challenge. Some of you new readers may be wondering why I’m doing a Pet Blogger Challenge. When I started this blog 5 years ago, it was Roxy the traveling dog and was definitely more of a pet blog. I re-branded in 2014 to Tales from the back road because I wanted to stretch my creative wings more. But my roots are in the pet blogging world, and I love this challenge that my friend Amy from Go Pet Friendly does.
So here goes. My answers to the questions that Amy came up with this year.
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone who is visiting for the first time, please give a quick description of the subject of your blog.
I’m approaching my 5 year mark later this month. I blog about our full time traveling life, our art, and the dogs who share that world with us.
2. What is the one thing that you accomplished during 2015, either on your blog or because of it, that made you most proud?
I think I improved my photography this year. A photographer I know says we have to find our photographic voice. You have to find what makes your work unique to you. I think I’m getting there, and this year was a good progress year towards that.
3. Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
Wow, to narrow this down to one is tough. I would have to say “Dear Summer, I love you.” It’s especially good right now because we are running towards summer, so I’ll get to tell her hi.
4. A common theme from last year’s challenge was that many of us wanted to increase the size of our audiences. Whether or not we intend to monetize our blogs, it seems we’d all like to reach more people. It feels good to know that we’re connecting with others, sharing a laugh or supporting a cause, and it’s motivating to see those numbers grow! What is one thing you’ve done in the past year that has brought more traffic to your blog?
I have been more engaged on my blogs facebook page. This has brought more readers to the blog, and more engaged readers which is always good. I have also written more SEO friendly content and have gotten more traffic from google.
5. Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? Why do you think it was so popular? (Please include a link.)
My review of the Sleepypod Clickit Sport harness had the most traffic. I think more and more people are realizing how important it is to keep their dogs safe while they travel. Car accidents can be just as deadly for dogs as people and the proper restraints can make all the difference.
6. What is one blog that you read religiously – other than your own – and what makes you such a devoted reader? (Please include a link.)
In Flow. Otto Von Munchow is a professional photographer who has great advice, and tips on photography. His blog posts are always well written, informative, and make me think about my photography, and art in general.
7. What resources do you rely on to enhance your technical, writing, photography, social media, or other skills that improve your blog?
Adobe Photoshop, and Lightroom. I would be lost without the ability to edit, size, and watermark all my photos so easily.
8. What is the best piece of advice you can offer other bloggers?
Stay true to yourself. I know that is like a cliche in the blog world, but it’s true. I have talked to bloggers who have gone through, or are going through what I did 2 years ago. You have to write what you want to write, but also what your readers want to hear. Hopefully, those two things are the same. All writers write what interests them, but reaching those people who are interested too, is what it’s all about.
9. What is your vision for your blog in 2016? Do you have specific goals?
To keep it fun, for me and my readers. I enjoy taking my community along for the ride, and I want them to be having a good time too. I want to bring interesting, and fun content to Tales from the back road so everyone enjoys it.
10. You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there one blogging challenge you’d like help with, or one aspect of your blog that you’d like input on?
Actually, I just want to know what my readers want to hear about. What interests you guys, what do you like about the blog, what do you not like? Is there something you would like to see more of, or less of?